So, I’ve spent the last few weeks setting up (READ: FIGHTING WITH) Xen-Source on a server we have here.
It took me a few days to get my distro of choice installed on the HP DL380, given that (as of writing) etch isn’t a directly installable distribution. I eventually figured out that to get the damn thing running, you have to download the Deb 3.1 install cd hidden away on the HP site, install the server from that. At that point, it was an upgrade to Etch via aptitude, THEN an upgrade to Xen also via the repositories.
After doing all the necessary tweeking, it was time to build a DomU, so first off a Deb Etch ‘test’ machine. That took me a good couple of hours to note that because we were behind a proxy, each time we wanted to use the image scripts, I had to do the export_proxy=http://…. command.
After this all was well.
So now we get to the main gist of my post. Virtualised Windows. Ghaaa….
Starting off with XP for a test image, its taken me about 4hrs of looking around, perseverence and banging my head against the wall to get the damn thing booting. First of all the config. This took a while to even get the damn thing to boot without crashing (and using VNC to allow remote control). This is the config I ended up with:-
import os, re
arch = os.uname()
if re.search(’64’, arch):
arch_libdir = ‘lib64’
arch_libdir = ‘lib’
kernel = “/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/boot/hvmloader”
device_model = ‘/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/qemu-dm’
builder = ‘hvm’
memory = ‘512’
name = “XenXP1”
vif = [ ‘type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0’ ]
disk = [ ‘phy:/dev/fs1/Win2003_TST,ioemu:hda,w’, ‘file:/etc/xen/isos/win/xp/XP_SP2.ISO,hdc:cdrom,r’,]
vncpasswd = “apassword”
acpi = 1
apic = 0
on_reboot = ‘destroy’
Which would at least allow me to boot into the blue windows installer. However, once that had run through, it would just sit there with a black screen doing nothing else (although xm list still had a status of running). I eventually stumbled on this page http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-02/msg00249.html which had the solution! Force Windows to install as a standard machine. This has now got me to the GUI with 34 minutes to run. Fingers x’d thats the solution.